December 19, 2011 @ 11:18 pm
I used to buy FM jogging radios every few years, hoping they’d finally work while… well… jogging. Or hiking. They never did. Reception was always spotty and full of static. All in all, they were exercises in consumer frustration—broken promises and technological impotence.
With the iPhone’s radio apps, that’s changed. I use NPR’s iPhone app all the time, and Sentient Meat has previously profiled the (very simple) KPCC app version 1. It did only one thing—play KPCC’s live stream—and it did it well. It wasn’t flawless but it did a good job.
KPCC’s new app has hit iTunes App Store, and it looks very good. In version 2.0, KPCC appears to have leapfrogged other radio apps, going from one of the smallest sets of features to one of the richest.
When I travel, I sometimes use my phone as a clock radio. Now KPCC does an even better impression of a clock radio with a sleep timer and alarm clock.
Member Benefits, including location sensing
I like KCRW’s app and it used to put KPCC’s to shame. But now KPCC’s has pulled ahead. One way is Member Benefits which shows you KPCC sponsors near you offering special deals.
Here’s some of KPCC’s rundown of their new features:
What’s New in Version 2.0
A completely re-imagined, re-designed KPCC iPhone app that dramatically expands your access to all of KPCC’s news and information. The new app goes way beyond live streaming– here’s a quick list of some of the major new features:
Enhanced Live Streaming
– An interactive program schedule
– Live stream radio bookmarks let you listen to a program once it is available on-demand
– You can now pause the live stream and start from where you left off.
– Access to on-demand audio for all KPCC programs and our partner content. Listen to archived episodes of AirTalk, Marketplace, This American Life… whenever and wherever you want!
– You can now read our latest digital news stories online. Our best content from the web is served up fresh daily; read the latest local news and listen to KPCC at the same time.
– Watching the latest KPCC videos inside the app.
Member Benefits Directory
– Quickly find businesses nearby that offer Member Benefits discounts. It only takes a few taps to find a discount nearby, get directions on your phone, or call to make a reservation.
Quick Mobile Pledging
– Tap the Pledge button to become a member and support the KPCC voices you know and trust!.